Thursday, August 4, 2011

Flatbread Pizza On The Fly.
(or Yummy Goodness that's Good for the Whole Family)




by Mary Courtney Blake

After last week's grocery adventures, I came home to find that, in my excitement, I had bought Naan twice, at two different stores.  This left me with the challenge to find interesting and yummy things to do with this Indian flatbread.  Mostly, I simply and deliciously ate it as a side with my meals as it is more or less intended to be eaten.  However, as I was sifting through the remnants of the week's food in the refrigerator, hungrily trying to find any ingredients that might make up a meal, I had a wonderful thought... Naan looks an awful lot like prepared pizza dough, except it is yummier and and much more nuanced.

So, I dug out all of those little bits of leftover veggies and random ingredients that were left over from an variety of other lunches and dinners.  Here is a list of the bits of things I found:

Almost Wilted Broccoli
Kalamata Olives
Red Onion
Capers
Goat Cheese
Garlic
Prosciutto 
and lastly Hollandaise Sauce (don't be intimidated... this is not a staple of my refrigerator and in this scenario, olive oil will do quite nicely)

Being that this little improv is "Pizza on the Fly", meaning it can and should be able to be done quickly, the construction is straightforward.  Simply set your oven to 350 degrees F.  Get out your stoneware or a baking sheet and lay out your Naan.  Brush your Naan with butter or olive oil.  Top with all of your refrigerator goodies.  Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper and place in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes (until your cheese is all melty or your pizza just looks sizzling yummy and hot all the way through).  When your pizza is ready to serve, drizzle olive oil across the top (or hollandaise in my case) and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment